IEEE Ottawa Section Awards Banquet Highlights
The 79th IEEE Ottawa Section Awards Banquet was held on October 20th in Shaw Centre’s beautiful Trillium Ballroom overlooking the Rideau Canal and several Ottawa landmarks. It was well attended by people from academia, industry, and government with some attendees travelling from Montreal and other parts of Ontario.
Dr. Tom Murad, Ph.D., P.Eng., F.E.C., SMIEEE, incoming President for IEEE Region 7 (Canada) provided an overview of IEEE and of region 7 stressing that IEEE is powered and run almost entirely by volunteers.
Our keynote speaker, Mr. Marc Levesque, President of Communication Research Centre (CRC) Canada, provided an overview of Canada’s connectivity strategy to bring high speed internet to all Canadians, the challenges that brings due to congested wireless spectrum, and how CRC is researching ways to tackle that challenge.
Congratulations to all our award winners!
- Outstanding Information & Communications Technology Company Award – CANARIE
- Outstanding High Technology Company Award – Edge Signal
- Outstanding Clean Technology Company Award – Growcer
- Appreciation Award – Ottawa Tourism
- Outstanding Engineering Educator Award – Rafik Goubran
- Outstanding Volunteer Award – Nima Javanbakht
- Outstanding Affinity Group Award – Women in Engineering (WIE)
- Outstanding Student Branch Award – Carleton University
- Outstanding Committee Award – Ottawa Robotics Committee (ORC)
- Outstanding Chapter Award – AP-MTT
We would also like to thank all attendees as well as the staff at the Shaw Centre for their patience as we adapted to delays due to another significant engineering event – the Percy Street Bridge replacement on the 417. The business portion of the AGM will be scheduled at a later date.
Photo credits: Ana Krachkovskaya / Pinpoint Photography